Why, Hello There!

I truly believe food is love; it calms the soul, and lightens the heart. I am pleased you are here to share my many recipes, crafts and thoughts. Thank you so much for joining me, and may you always eat, drink, and be merry!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake


I am at home with my wonderful husband to be, and what do you know, it is pouring buckets outside!  I shouldn't be surprised...I do live in Oregon.  On this very rainy occasion I did what I do best; bake.  There is something about this type of weather that seems to triggers my inner homemaker.  I decided on a lemon poppy seed pound cake to lift our spirits; and thus I will share it with you!  Bon appetit!


Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake




Ingredients:


  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
 
  • ¾ tsp Baking Powder
  • ½ tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Tbsp good quality Vanilla Extract 
  • ½ Cup + 3 Tbsp salted Butter, melted and cooled to warm
 
  • ¼ Cup Organic Whole Milk
  • Lemon Zest  from 1 large Lemon
  • 
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
  •  3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds 
  • 4 Large Free-Range Eggs
 
  • 1 ¼ Cups Unbleached Sugar
How to:

Grease and flour a loaf pan, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whip the following ingredients together for about 5 minutes: vanilla, butter, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, and sugar.  In a separate, large bowl combine: flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds, mix very well.  Then pour dry ingredients into the prepared wet ingredients, and fold mixture together with a spatula until batter is smooth.

Pour batter into oven-ready pan.  Bake for about 1 hour, until golden and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.


Possible wedding cake flavor :) Bon appetit!






2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that looks heavenly. I love anything with poppy seeds. You can bet I'll try this recipe. Every once in a while I will catch a Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake on markdown at Walmart. It doesn't last long either. I think I usually am the only one to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That's great, I usually end up sending most of the treats I make to work with Jacob. If I didn't I know I would definitely eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete